Sunday, October 28, 2007

Roya Re..Dile Roya Re...

"bin tere main main jiyun kis tarah",
the eternal cry of a lover. This blog is about my random rumblings on life and other stuff. And hence i have named it as "Dil Roya Re"...but today am gonna write about something which i like a lot.. My love for India.

For the first time in my life, i had got away without paying a bribe. A friend of mine had her passport renewal and in true professional style the Airport Road Police station went ahead and processed the passport without even mentioning that they needed a bribe, a very awesome thing for India, where nothing gets done without warming the arms of these folks. But, and there is always a but, the guy quizzed me about my knowledge of kannada. I am simply stumbled at this request by the guy cause i have atleast two instances ; once at the above episode and the other one being at the immigration counter where one of the officers quizzed me as if i would die; if i dont know kannada. I frankly believe that if i know Hindi ( our national language) and english (the working language) i should be able to conduct my business in India. I do understand that India is a diverese country but i fail to understand that though this diversity brings in a variety in the way things but aint it time we say we need one language to communicate. There is a great sense of divisiveness and it's a common practice in all over India to demean folks who does not know the local language. It's saddening and it is really beyond me as to why " I am Indian" tends to mean different if spoken in Hindi or else in Kannada or Tamil or Bengali.
I do not intend to write anything in kannada and "No adjust Maadi" stance of mine, it will almost be racist if somebody asks me to know or speak of anything else apart from Hindi.
Bangalore is multi-cultural and everything else but the official machinery is so very seeded and deep rooted with medieval culture of sorts that they feel teaching everybody kannada would serve some purpose , i dont know what. I think if we have not made any significant progress by having this diversity in language; lets forget them all. Atleast we can make Hindi better by applying the entire knowledge. I do not understand , how many ways does it take to make folks understand "screw it", would kannada make any difference.

No comments: